Yesterday was Canada Day - formerly called "Dominion Day" - my northerly neighbor's answer to July 4th, I suppose. Canada is near and dear to my heart. It's where half of my ancestors went to live after being kicked out of the newly formed U S of A by the tax-evading, yahoo ingrates who used the Revolution as a good excuse to grab their farms. But I digress.
Canada Day in my neck of the woods is the excuse for a group of artisans and artists to throw a big sale of our creations at the studio/home of a potter named Mare. Mare's Wares is ideally located on the U.S. side of the St. Lawrence River, between two border-spanning bridges. There's lots of space for the growing number of "Easy-up" shelters most of us use, and several large tents cover food offerings and a bandstand. Mare is about the nicest person you'd ever want to meet, and she throws all of her energy into making this day a success. Other members of Seaway Valley Artisans also contribute in various ways to make the event happen.
The weather forecast couldn't have been much worse: between 60 and 90% chance of rain, thundershowers, high winds and hail, (varying hour by hour). Anyone who has ever had the experience of trying to protect artwork under an Easy-up "water-resistant" (not water-PROOF) shelter during such weather events will tell you it isn't much fun. There are even horror stories involving chasing after the wind-blown structure...
Anyway, despite the awful forecast, despite setting up in a light drizzle the evening before, Wednesday dawned sunny. The day was glorious! By early afternoon the Weather Service was saying, "Well, okay, so maybe it isn't raining now, but don't start smirking yet because it's all gonna come down on you between 5 and 6, so there!" Liar, liar, pants on fire!
The sun shined, the bands played, the people came. LOTS of people came. It was a wonderful day enjoyed by shoppers and artists alike. At least two of us experienced record sales, and almost every vendor I spoke with had a very good day. It is wonderful to be a part of this. I love being in the company of such talented folks. I love meeting the people who come to browse or shop.
I came home saying, "Artists and musicians... I think I've died and gone to heaven!" Here is one of my photos that is now residing in Canada.
.

..........................barnstorming
.
And here's to Mare and all of the Seaway Valley Artisans: (as they say in Canada) GOOD ON YOU!
.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.